Why People Don’t Run – Marathon – Running – Fitness

Why people don’t run.

NIK_T_405312_BLK_3(Does it?)

I’ve been pounding the pavement and trails for the better part of the last 15 years. In my daily conversations, running comes up in some form or fashion about 75% of the time. In those conversations, about 60% of the people relate to me how much they enjoy running. The other 40% tend to focus on why they people don’t run. Here are the most common reasons I’ve heard why people don’t run.

  1. My knees hurt when I run.
  1. I don’t have the time.
  1. I find it boring.
  1. I just can’t run.
  1. I would not know how to start.

I have no scientific data to prove my personal opinions on running vs. other forms of exercise. I can only share with you my feelings, my results and my opinion which has been formed over the last 20 years trying to fight back father time. Running works. It’s by far the fastest form of exercise to make the biggest impact on your fitness. Running is fun, it’s relatively cheap and you do not need special equipment or training.

61524-1737-016f(My running venue is ever changing)

  1. I have seen no real data that points to the conclusion that running damages your knees. Now I’ll say for some people because of DNA this may be true. But for the vast majority running should not be painful. Some keys to remember when you do start running: Start slow, listen to your body, rest when you need to and avoid big jumps in mileage and time.
  1. It is a very busy world we live in, but when it comes to your health you have to make time to be fit. Trust me if you come up ill, you’ll have no choice, the illness will demand and control your time. 30 minutes a day will do wonders for your physical health, your mental health and your outlook on life in general. In my experience running has made the biggest impact on my fitness and weight control for the amount of time I have available.
  1. Find a running venue that interests you. If you find the treadmill boring hit the streets. If the streets bog down your senses tackle some trails. Can’t dig the dirt, run on the beach. And if the surf, sand and ocean breeze can’t capture your wonder run up a mountain. Running is one of the only forms of exercise that you can take with you no matter where you go or what venue you enjoy.
  1. We were born to run. Only over time have we substituted other forms of transportation for what comes natural. It might take a few outings to get back your natural rhythm. We all can run, just don’t fight it, find your stride and run.

    Jogging(Gait analysis)

  2. Start by visiting a good running specialty store, get fitted with a good pair of running shoes matched to your foot, stride and gait. Then google “couch to 5k training plans” review the training plan, make any adjustments to fit your fitness level, available time and go for your first run.

finish(At The finish of my 1st 100 mile run)

Don’t fall victim to all the fears, and excuses. If you want to get fit, get out and run today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 × 1 =