Came across this great blog post on what it takes to date an endurance junkie. It is an excellent read and uncovers a lot of the unique things that make runners/swimmers/cyclist a little difficult in the relationship department.
Michele and I have been married for 23 years, the last 14 I’ve been an endurance athlete, the first 9, I sat on the couch.
I tell everyone who will listen, my wife treats me better then I deserve. As an endurance junkie here are a few of the things that make it hard to live with us.
1. I have way to many shoes, and I never really wear “big boy” shoes. Weddings and funerals are about the only place you’ll find me wearing dress shoes. Other then that I wear my “dress running shoes.”
2. I do enjoy going out on the town, staying up late at night. But while Michele is warm and in bed, I will be out on the roads getting in a few night times miles. Although most nights come 9 p.m. and I’m out like a ghost.
3. I used to have pretty man feet, but they have taken a beating. Please don’t call attention to my black toe nails, blisters, missing toe nails and whatever else maybe going on down there.
4. When it’s cuddle time, pls don’t take offense if I jump out of my skin when any weight is put on my knees. Other then they are always little sore, they are my most important body part and the most fickle. It’s not you…IT IS ME!
5. When I ask you to hang out for 4, 6, 8 or 12 hours while I run an extreme distance. Please understand the majority of time while I’m running I’m thinking of you. I might not say it enough but without your support I could not do this.
AND always. When you say you’re proud of ME…it blows MY mind.
But on the bright side, if your married or are dating an endurance athlete, you always know where we are. Sleeping, Eating, Surfing the web for our next race or napping in our easy chair. Oh yea if we are not there, we are out on the road banging out the miles.